Monday, July 7, 2008

Potato and Lettuce Salad (Recipe)

I went for a free medical check up recently to test my cholesterol level. The health consultant took a pin prick amount of my blood and had it processed. I must say I was quite apprehensive at that time as this is the only test I had failed in all my life. Well, apart from the Chinese examination back in primary school which I copied and got only 6 out of 100.
The results came back with a whopping total cholesterol level slightly over 6. Yes! Felt elated. While this is way over the safe limit of 5.3, it used to be 7.4 two years ago. With a bit of change in life style and some exercises, it certainly paid off. As a challenge to the sceptics, I hope to hit the safe level by end of next year. Hmm. Hard to imagine a food blogger not having high cholesterol. Worst still, a food blogger living in Penang . The food in Penang is simply hard to resists. Just step out of your home and you'll see the key cholesterol contributors like char koay teow, nasi kandar, nasi lemak etc everywhere. It feels like there's a hit man across every street with your name on it. As part of my on going programme to bring down my cholesterol level, I decided to try out a simple recipe with more focus towards healthy living. Potato and lettuce salad. Here's what I used:
  • Lettuce

  • Eggs

  • Carrots

  • Tomatoes

  • Potato

  • Parsley

  • Olive oil
  • Pepper and salt

Chop, chop, chop. Mix, mix, mix. And there you have it, potato and lettuce salad. It was a great effort to stay healthy but I would be lying if I'm saying I'm not missing my cheese burger. :)






No comments: