Friday, July 18, 2008

Homemade Chicken Teriyaki (Recipe)

I happen to chance upon this great video website called Video Jug and saw some great recipes. There are certainly a lot of websites out there that provide good recipes. However, Video Jug as it's name suggest comes with a step by step instruction in a video form on how to cook. I find this extremely useful considering my basic culinary skills. Since, it was raining heavily yesterday, it killed any plans to eat out. I decided to run through Video Jug and look for a recipe that wasn't too challenging; at least for now. I zoomed in on chicken teriyaki since my wife love Japanese food. Ironically, she's not having any of my chicken teriyaki since she's on some special diet. Otherwise, I would have scored some brownie points with her. Here's what I use to make my chicken teriyaki base on what I have:
  • Chicken
  • Teriyaki sauce
  • Garlic
  • Bean sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Salt & pepper for seasoning
I took a shot cut and use a ready made teriyaki sauce which I bought some time back from Tesco. For those of you who want to prepare the sauce from scratch, you would need the following:
  • 2 tbsp sake (rice wine)
  • 4 tbsp soy sauce
  • 4 tbsp mirin sauce (sweet rice wine)
  • 2 tbsp sugar

First thing that you need to do is marinate the chicken with the teriyaki sauce together with some salt and pepper. Let the chicken absorb the sauce for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator. Heat the pan with vegetable oil and fry the chicken and garlic till they are brown. Pour in the sauce which is used to marinate the chicken. Cook till the sauce thicken and add in the bean sprouts and cabbage. I added them towards the end so that I can retain the crispiness of both the bean sprouts and cabbage.










7 comments:

rokh said...

yum! simple yet delicious!

Andrew said...

Many thanks to the ready made teriyaki sauce :). I would imagine that if you had to prepare the sauce yourself, it would take short of kung fu skills to get it right. I will try the long way the next time.

CK Lam said...

Wow...didn't know that you can cook too. That plate of Teriyaki Chicken sure looks appetizing.

Andrew said...

Oh..I love to cook.Cooking does help me relax provided if all goes well :). It also opens up the creative side of me.

New Kid on the Blog said...

hey, thks for dropping by my blog. you too have a great one.

the teriyaki chicken looks tempting.... think i can smell it from here. :)

CRIZ LAI said...

Not bad. It looked impressive. You can try adding some strips of carrot and spring onion stalks too when the meat is about to be cooked. It will add in some colors :)

http://crizfood.blogspot.com/

Andrew said...

Hi Criz Lai - thanks for the advice and sharing with your blog. I will check them out soon.