Thursday, September 4, 2008

Homemade Apple Crumble Recipe

One of my all time favourite dessert has to be apple crumble. I use to have them almost every alternate day when I was at campus in the UK and that is probably the only reason why I am so nuts about them now. Since settling back in Penang, I haven't come across a good diner that serves a kick ass apple crumple. There are probably some out there but unfortunately not in the sights of my radar. Perhaps I need to upgrade those radar of mine. Anyway, while waiting for the opportunity to stumble upon such places, I decided to embark on another misadventure in baking. Why not bake my own apple crumble? That was what I told my wife and she burst hysterically into laughter. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Regardless of this, I decided to pursue this matter as after all, I have my wife's nieces and nephews who are always so obliging when it comes to food.

Here are what I used for the ingredients.
  • 8 apples
  • 4 tbs of cinnamon
  • 200g of flour
  • 100g of butter
  • 150g of castor sugar
  • 50g of oats (optional)
  • water
The process to bake is quite simple. Here are steps:
  1. Dice the apples into small chucks.
  2. Place them into a pot together and add in some of the sugar, cinnamon and water. Stew them for 30 minutes or until they are soft. Remember to stir them continually to prevent them from being puree. Place them in a baking tray to cool.
  3. To make the crumble base, combine the flour, sugar, oats and butter in a bowl until the mixture has a crumbly texture.
  4. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the apples. Place the crumble in a preheated oven at 150C for 30 minutes or till brown.

The basic ingredients for the apple crumble recipe.



The apples are being stewed till they are soft but still firm. You don't want them to puree form so keep stirring.






I recommend leaving the apple crumble overnight in the fridge so that the crumble mixtures hardens. It tasted better too. And it goes nicely with vanilla ice cream.






I must have tried this recipe (which I got from the Internet) for the fourth time as the initial crumble mix wasn't right. The recommended recipe either had too much flour or too much butter so you need to play around with your formula. What I had now is just right and got the approval from the kids. That's all what matters. The hunt for a decent apple crumble is finally over.

4 comments:

Penang Tua Pui said...

Wow... apple crumble....

Must ask Fei Fei to make one for us lioa.. .maybe can use your recipe and print out for him...then we all also get to eat lor.. hahaha.. must put a lot of pressure to him to do lioa... :p

Andrew said...

hi penang tua pui - it's quite easy to do once you have the right recipe otherwise you have to keep on fine tuning till you get it correct. Ya..you should really pressure Fei Fei to do it.I'm sure all of you will enjoy it.

J2Kfm said...

wah, me likes Apple Crumble Pie also! but sadly not many outlets serving them.

heard that Pick & Brew 1Utama serves a mean Apple Crumble Cheesecake.

Andrew said...

j2kfm-thanks!I have been looking for a decent one so far. I will try your recommendation the next time I'm at 1Utama.